First Baptist Church of Akron is a warm and friendly New Testament, Bible-preaching Baptist church. Our mission is to reach our corner of Colorado for Jesus Christ! We minister the Word of God and preach Jesus Christ through regular Bible classes and clubs, traditional worship services, church activities, everyday personal evangelism, and the financial support of ten missionaries in the United States and other parts of the world.
We invite you and your family to come and see what we are all about!
First Baptist Church believes that there are certain essential truths which should be believed and defended by all Christians.
- The Scriptures: We believe that the Bible (66 books) was written by men who were moved by the Holy Spirit (2 Peter 1:21) and inspired by God (2 Timothy 3:16). This inspiration was verbal (each word – 1 Corinthians 2:9-13) and plenary (completely – 2 Timothy 3:16-17) and extends to the original writings. It is the true center of Christian union and the supreme standard by which all human conduct, creeds, and opinions should be tried.
- Deity of Christ: We believe that Jesus Christ is fully God. He asserts oneness with the Father (John 10:10) and is called God (Hebrews 1:8). We believe He has the characteristics of God (John. 8:58, Matthew 28:18) and is of the same substance as the Father (Colossians 2:9), therefore, He is God.
- Virgin Birth: We believe the coming of Christ “in the flesh” was predicted by Isaiah and processed by the Virgin Birth (Isaiah 7:14; 9:6). He was born of Mary alone (Matthew 1:16) and conceived of the Holy Spirit (Luke 1:35).
- Substitutionary Atonement: We believe Christ died in the place of sinners (1 Peter 3:18) in order to pay the debt owed by sinful man to a righteous God (1 John 2:2).
- Bodily Resurrection of Christ: We believe Christ arose from death and the grave after three days (Luke 24:36-46; 1 Corinthians 15:1-4).
First Baptist Church believes in the following truths which historically have separated Baptists from other denominations.
- Bible as our sole authority of faith and practice (2 Peter 1:3; 2 Timothy 3:16-17)
- Autonomy of the local church (Acts 6:1-6; Matthew 18:17)
- Priesthood of all true believers (1 Peter 2:9)
- Two offices: Pastor and Deacon (1 Timothy 3:1-15; Titus 1:6-9)
- Individual soul liberty (2 Corinthians 4:2; 5:10; Titus 1:9)
- Saved and baptized church membership (Ephesians 4:3; 1 Corinthians 12:12; 2 Cor. 6:14)
- Two ordinances: Baptism and The Lord’s Supper (Matthew 28:19-20; 1 Cor. 11:23-34)
- Separation of church and state (Matthew 22:21; Romans 13:1)
First Baptist Church serves the Lord Jesus wholly independent of any higher ecclesiastical organizations (i.e. Baptist Bible Fellowship, South Baptist Convention, General Association of Regular Baptist Churches). However, we do regularly enjoy good Christian fellowship with groups of fellow Independent Baptist Churches regionally (the Mountain States Baptist Fellowship) and nationally (New Testament Association of Baptist Churches).